Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Who am I?

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell

Who am I? is a very loaded question that most of us have thought about at one point in our lives. Often we define ourselves by the career we have chosen. But what happens when that definition no longer fits?

10 years ago, I never would have imagined considering calling myself an Artist. In fact, I have a Master's degree in something completely unrelated!

So, how did I start creating art? Well, in 2003 I was diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease, and found myself no longer able to work in my profession (I was a Speech Language Pathologist working with stroke and brain injured patients)

To get out of the house, I took a course called The Artist's Way, the book/program by Julia Cameron. For fun I made a bird collage of a cardinal and brought it into the class for "show and tell." I am not sure why I choose a bird, it just popped into my head.



Anyway, things took off from there! That was about 3 years ago. Since then I've had commissions, my work in stores, and even an art show!

So, my health issues currently dictate that I live my life at a slower pace then sometimes I would like, but finding the artist within has been a true gift born out of difficult situation.

xxoo Abby

2 comments:

  1. Great collage, and inspiring how you managed to find the silver lining.

    ReplyDelete