Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A few words about materials...

"Every master knows that the material teaches the artist"

Even though I have only been making collages for a few years, I inexplicably have been saving potential materials for much longer than that. I guess the "collage artist" part of me was busy preparing, even before I knew this was the path I would be taking.

Although many of my collages are made with more than one medium (making them "mixed media" pieces), my heart lies with paper. I can't really draw, and paint scares me ( I am trying to work on this,) but I have always loved to cut things out of paper!




In this way, everyday objects become my palette. Old calendars, maps, magazines, tissue boxes, greeting cards, and food cartons all have the potential to be featured in my next collage!

Since I am an avid recycler, I'm glad my art utilizes repurposed items. One of my more exciting recent finds were these wooden blocks at a store going out of business sale (the kind where everything is going, even the fixtures.) I believe they were used to prop up displays, but for me they are perfect canvases!



Here is the first collage I made using one of these repurposed wooden blocks.


If you look closely, you can also see a repurposed map in the background. The seahorse is also partially created out of recycled gift wrap.

8 comments:

  1. I enjoy seeing how people use different finds to create with. It's very inspiring and your seahorse is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your collages are wonderful! I love the seahorse. I'm following so I can see more!

    I'm a "paint within the lines" kind of gal so I really appreciate someone who can "paint outside" those lines! I bet you have fun finding all sorts of neat papers to use.

    (found you on the Etsy forums)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maps are such an awesome material to recycle for crafts. Never looks bad, EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this collage. It's great that you are using recycled materials as well. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work!
    It's great to read about the process, too,
    am following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the comments and the follows :)

    @Sarah - I am a "paint within the lines" kind of gal too, so collage really stretches me to let go of the need for perfection.

    ReplyDelete