Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Help the Gulf Coast on Etsy

I have been very pained recently, along with a great many other people, about the ramifications of the oil spill in the Gulf Coast. Among the most seriously affected by this catastrophe are the creatures and wildlife who rely on this area for their livelihood. Seeing images on television and the internet of birds and other creatures covered in oil is, for me, almost unbearable.


So, although this problem seems completely overwhelming for one person to try to make a difference, in times like these I recall the famous words of Burmese activist and political prisoner Aung San Suu Kyi If you're feeling helpless help someone

I decided a few days ago I would find some way, albeit tiny , to aid the relief efforts in the Gulf. That very night I came across this wonderful Etsy shop called Help the Gulf Coast started by an Etsy seller named Kate from Flapperdoodle. This shop is a collective of items donated by Etsy sellers; 100% of the proceeds go to relief efforts in the Gulf- 50% to Oxfam, 50% to the National Audubon Society (pending approval)

Of course I donated something right away! I choose the above giclee print of an original bird collage called White Mountain Bird because I think he looks wistful.

Please check out this wonderful shop here
xxoo Abby

6 comments:

  1. I donated and item as well, I felt I had to do something. It's a wonderful shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Abby! I found the HelpTheGulf forum post-I was the first response on the post- I was searching for an outlet that morning because I was about to loose it over all this. I donated a piece and within minutes it sold. This turned my feeling of utter helplessness around and I felt not so alone. I have been giving partial proceeds from my etsy sales to Audubon and Nature Conservancy in my for almost three years now. Since the spill I have some items focused on Nature Conservancy's special Fund For Gulf Coast Restoration. I have raised a nice chunk for this fund since then, but the piece I sold on the HelpTheGulf shop was a super feeling because of the community effort.
    I love your work and I love your blog post about all this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks so much for your comments :) That is great that you have been donating proceeds from your Etsy shop to such worthy causes! It is wonderful when we are able to touch upon a connection with others and do something good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea, such a heartbreaking situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for making us aware of this shop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so nice of you, thanks for the heads up! kate from flapperdoodle is a lovely gal, i've talked with her a few times before!

    I found your blog through the Etsy forums and just wanted to say hi and that you have a new follower! Have a beautiful week!

    xo, Katie
    http://www.kateandoli.com

    ReplyDelete