Friday, August 6, 2010

Junk Mail Challenge

I often see wonderful craft challenges on blogs and think I'd really like to participate. But somehow, I never do. I miss the deadline or am not inspired by the subject matter. So, I decided to create my own challenge, with just me participating! You've got to start somewhere, right?!

Last month I wrote a blog post about how I like to incorporate recycled materials into my collages. You can see it here!



Well, I thought, what if I make a collage where the only source of paper is junk mail!I made the junk mail rules pretty tight for myself: No magazines, or paper I had picked up elsewhere. Each paper source I used had to come into my home through the mail and while I included catalogs, I decided magazines were not allowed (too easy!) I already had some great wooden blocks I had found at store going out of business sale (used for merchandising displays) so I felt this challenge would be a perfect use for them!

As this has been one long hot summer, I settled on the subject matter of leaves (think Fall!) to be the focus of my junk mail challenge. I decided to make a series of 3 leaf mixed media collages using the upcycled wooden blocks, 100% junk mail, acrylic paint, and ink.







I am pretty happy with the way they turned out and find it hard to believe they were once "Junk Mail" that would have wound up in our recycle bin (a noble place, yes, but it's always nice to bring a little beauty into the world!)



If anyone is inspired to try this challenge for themselves, I would be happy to run another series. Just comment below if you would like to participate and I will post some details.

xxoo
Abby

8 comments:

  1. These are truly amazing, I would love to participate :)

    Have a lovely weekend, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much T :)

    I'm glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like that too! Every few weeks I think, hey I'd like to do one of those art challenges or group things on blogs...and always find out about the ones that inspire me too late!

    I think your idea is fabulous and I think your pieces are beautiful. Especially the last one, with the gold and green! I would hang these in my house! :)

    (oh and I would love to participate!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Kendra! Your comments are really appreciated :)

    I will plan to post info about a new junk mail challenge in a few weeks I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. Somebody has to make junk mail worthwhile! How wonderful to turn it into something beautiful.

    (will you come to my house and take away all of mine???)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Anne! I think I'm all set for junk mail though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Love the Junk mail idea! Just wanted to know I gave you a "blog award"

    http://xpeppyandbellex.blogspot.com/2010/08/top-blogs-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea. I'm going to try my hand at it!

    ReplyDelete