Monday, July 25, 2011

The Story Behind the Art


Today I am going to tackle question #3 in my ongoing series "5 Blog Posts Every Artist Should Write" suggested by this article on the website Imaginative Bloom:

The Story Behind A Piece of Art

I was going to choose a different collage actually, but a moment ago, a starling landed outside my window, so I think I will discuss this bird collage featuring a starling called Etiquette Lessons ( I am a firm believer in signs and messages!)



I made this collage about 2 1/2 years ago. It was one of the first collages I made after learning how to include other mediums besides paper in my art. It was originally made on an 9" x 12" canvas. The background was made from tissue paper I painted (using acrylic paint,) and the flowers are actually from a dinner napkin! The body of the bird was made using a Xerox of my husbands sweater. A fun tip: Color copying fabric is a great way to create interesting papers to use for collage. And amazingly, I have found no one even gives you funny looks if you go to Kinkos and Xerox a bunch of clothing!

The title Etiquette Lessons comes from the description of the starling in my animal totem book Animal Speak by Ted Andrews:
The starling is a very socialble bird, and when not nesting, they gather together to form immense flocks. They almost always travel together a feed in flocks. Because of this , Starlings reveal lessons associated with group behavior and etiquette ...
The original of this collage has sold, but giclee (fine art) prints are still available in my etsy shop here !

1 comment:

  1. Hi Abby,
    Stopping by from flying lessons. I like all of your bird collages, the chickadee is very sweet. I'll have to check out the article on Imaginative Bloom, the link isn't working. Looking forward to class.

    ReplyDelete