Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Ferris Wheel

Last month during a trip to Chicago I had the chance to ride a Ferris wheel, which I haven't done in a long time. A really long time! As a 42 year old woman with no children, the opportunity just doesn't come up that much. But visiting Navy Pier with my 4 nieces and nephews, I didn't have much choice in the matter.

There is something so joyful the image of a Ferris wheel evokes for me. I guess it reminds me of my own childhood summers and adventures at amusement parks. So I thought I'd share this photo I took.


As an adult, I am pretty afraid of heights. But even I know to always ride the Ferris wheel when given the chance. Always. And as long as everyone kept their fingers and toes inside and didn't stand up, I was fine :)

10 comments:

  1. Holy smokes that is a giant ferris wheel! I always like to go on them too, but they sure make my tummy drop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty big! I'm glad I went though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ferris wheels are so much fun! I love the gentle breeze as you are moving and I love it when it stops me at the very top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. abby, good luck on your outdoor show. sounds like you are ahead of me. lucky!!!! good job! i can't wait to see pics of your show. nice to meet you. thank you for stopping by my blog!

    rita maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your comment Sher! I was a little nervous on the Ferris Wheel b/c I am afraid of heights, but it was definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with getting ready for your show too Rita Maria :) It's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot describe how the ferris wheel makes my stomach feel. I had older brothers who loved to rock it at the top. Could be why I can't do it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could see why that would be a problem Maggie - I need everyone to stay very still at the top!
    I still love the way they look though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Abby, thank you for visiting me and for your lovely comment! Ferris Wheels also make me feel joyful and remind me of my childhood. I used to LOVE them, but these days the thought of going on one makes my stomach churn. I love the view from the top though. Well done for going on a ride. I had a look at your collage designs and they are so pretty and made me feel happy today! Wini xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your solo show in May!!

    I'm so glad I found your blog...very inspiring!
    I collage maps into my art, too.
    Looking forward to reading your posts.
    I love Chicago! My little niece and nephew there could convince me to go on this ferris wheel! They have that power over me. :)

    Going to read more of your posts now...
    I'm your newest follower! :)

    Best,
    Mary
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete