Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Visit to the the Art Institute of Chicago


Last month during my trip to Chicago I was lucky enough to spend some time at the Art Institute. Since realizing I was an artist myself, about 5 years ago (you can read my story here), going to museums has become a much more intense experience for me. I've enjoyed art my whole life, but now am just awed by the impact art has had over the centuries, the age of certain pieces I've seen, and the idea that people have simply been making art since the beginning of time.

The Art Institute of Chicago is definitely one of the best museums I have ever been to. Their collection of Ancient Indian/Eastern art was amazing as well as a huge Impressionistic Wing and Modern Art areas.

Here are some photos I wanted to share:


This statue was right in the entrance foyer - I found it very striking!



Ancient statue of Hindu deity Ganesh, Remover of Obstacles


A famous Van Gogh painting The Bedroom
I have a print of this in my art studio! So cool to see in person

Seated Buddha statue from the 12 th century


xo Abby

3 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post. So nice to have a mini tour while I sit at home in Toronto! Isn't technology great?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo! Lucky you. Especially love the Bedroom and Ganesh. Thanks for sharing your trip! I have a friend who just arrived in PA at the art institute there. I have one of her paintings and hope to collect more after she finishes her MFA.

    Keep flying high! Rae

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Art Institute of Chicago it's one of my favorite places. It's what I love about living in Chicagoland area. I am glad you enjoyed your visit!
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete