Monday, August 22, 2011

New Work Monday

So, after spending most of this past year working on large scale collages (30" x 40" !) for my solo art show this past May (see here), I am having fun making art on a smaller scale.



I found this old Funk and Wagnalls New Standard Encyclopedia Volume X from 1931 about 7 years ago at a garage sale, and it has just been sitting in my art room, lost, until I finally decided to put it to use. One of the things I love about mixed media collage is that you can turn old into new, and breathe new life into things. Oh, in case you are wondering, I did check to see if it was worth anything before I started ripping it up!


With fall coming, I decided to focus on trees and leaves cut from the book pages over a layered background of hand painted tissue or textured paper with a bubble wrap imprint. I have 2 done so far, but am working on several more! These little collages are 4" x 5" on stretched canvas. I plan to sell them at the upcoming craft show I am doing The Clover Market September 18th in Ardmore, Pa.





7 comments:

  1. I think they are really cool!
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you're doing. I'd love to get my hands on an old encyclopedia. Going to keep my eyes open for estate sales and flea markets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abby, I really enjoy your art! I like your sense of composition and the nature theme. Great idea to photo copy your sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog from Etsy blog team, and I am enjoying your collages tremendously! I especially like the bird theme.
    Take care and keep up the good work!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love artwork painted on old books... very nice!

    ReplyDelete