Monday, April 9, 2012

Out With the Old - A New Day


A New Day Mixed Media on Canvas c Abby Sernoff 2012

I am currently working on photographing and listing large scale art on Etsy. I have 8 large scale collages (30" x 40" and up) that have been sitting patiently in my work space waiting for something to happen. Last year at this time I was getting ready for my first solo art show and had created these large pieces in the year leading up to that event. It was a huge stretch for me because I'm self taught and up to that point had never created a collage greater than about 11" x 14" (and even that seemed big at the time!)

My art show was great, but if you've been following this blog over the last week or so, you will be aware of why I disappeared for a while (see Where I've Been...)

I find photographing art for my Etsy shop kind of tough even for the smaller stuff, so taking pictures of the large pieces is a challenge! We just don't have great light in our house to begin with (I've totally given up on plants until we move), but I thought this spot in our living room might work. We get great light in our living room for about an hour a day (approx 5 - 6 pm) but so far I keep missing it. So this photo was taken with so-so light. I still think it came out OK. I will probably rephotograph it later.

A New Day Mixed Media on Canvas c Abby Sernoff 2012 


I like this collage a lot because it is called "A New Day." It's the only piece I've ever done that was a complete landscape. In creating it I was envisioning a new beautiful world where I don't have to deal with chronic illness anymore. Interestingly, my cousin (who really loved this piece) found it to be reminiscent of an H.P. Lovecraft novel. I haven't read any H.P. Lovecraft myself, but I understand he wrote really strange horror/fantasy/science fiction. I believe this interpretation was because my cousin found the moon in the collage quite haunting.

A New Day Mixed Media on Canvas c Abby Sernoff 2012


The more I think about it, the more I think it's truly a great aspect of art - it can mean whatever the viewer wants it to mean, even if it's different from what the artist visualized to begin with. Any thoughts?

7 comments:

  1. So bright and Springy... LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece. :) I know what you mean about photographing art. I have a couple really large paintings and it took me a few tries to get good photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna :)I agree - photographing the large ones are esp tough. I would love to take them outside!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful piece. Your photo looks good. It is hard to photograph large pieces. I have the same problem photographing quilts.

    I hope you stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the well wishes :) I took a look at your quilts - they are lovely!

      Delete
  4. I think you both pieces are wonderful. I love art that makes you think and lets you come to your own conclusion about what it is.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete