Thursday, April 19, 2012

Taking It Outside

"Love Tree" © Abby Sernoff 2012

As much as I enjoy making art, photographing it has not been a passion of mine. This is tough, because taking good photographs is essential for presenting your artwork online. I have a good camera I think (a Cannon PowerShot), but even after  about 4 years I still can't get myself to spend quality time with the instruction manual. Everything is set for auto, and that's the way I like it for now.

One thing I have learned about photographing art is that  pretty much everything looks better outside. We have a covered front porch that has been serving as my new outdoor photo studio! Here are some of my latest attempts: 

"Black Desert Bird"  © Abby Sernoff 2012

"Untie Your WIngs" © Abby Sernoff 2012

"Always Remember to Sing" © Abby Sernoff 2012

"The Peacock" © Abby Sernoff 2012



10 comments:

  1. Looks like a good place to take pictures. I hate taking pictures. But you're so right that it has to be part of the grand plan to sell online. The peacock is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - I agree - taking pictures is not what I want to be doing, but important...

      Delete
  2. Taking pictures is such a drag. I'm lucky because jewelry is small and I purchased a tent and some lights to take my photos in, but it's still a drag to get them just right. I really like your shots with the brick background, it really highlights your art. Some close up shots would be great too.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie! I have tried to set up a light box for some of my smaller stuff, but unless it's *really* small it's hard to get it right.

      Delete
  3. Your artwork is wonderful! I need to stop by your shop to see more.
    Natural light is the best for photographing your artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandy, glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  4. Hi, I stumbled upon a comment of yours on Everyday Inspired and dropped by to check your works. Wow, I love your collages! As far as photographing is concerned, you are right, everything looks better outside in indirect light. I especially love the photo of the black desert bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by Sonya! So glad you like my work :)

      Delete
  5. Your art is beautiful and it is shown in it's core nature here.

    It doesn't really matter if we are good or not at photography, what is key is sharing our creations with the world and you show your work in it's true form beautifully outside. :) Nature always shows the sincerity of our work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your nice comment Ana! I also really felt good about photographing my work outside - I am so inspired by nature, it seemed right somehow.

      Delete