Tuesday, April 10, 2012

This Movie Will Restore Your Faith in the Healing Power of Art (and why I really love my iPad)

Haha - I've been specifically trying not to talk about my health on this blog (I like to pretend I'm not sick) but it keeps coming up because it's been kind of the main focus of my life the past 8 months or so...

Anyway, even though I resisted at first, my amazing wonderful husband got me an iPad around the time I relapsed last Fall. It has pretty much saved my life through the rough times because there are several activities on the iPad that require your total attention and help you pass the time when you are too sick to do anything else. For example, I am now a "Gamer" - not what I was aspiring to be at 42, but whatever.

Another great thing about the iPad is you can watch movies very close to your face via Netflix streaming! That is how I discovered the movie The Cats of Mirikatani. It will renew your faith in humanity and restore your belief in the healing power of art!


From the website:

THE CATS OF MIRIKITANI Eighty-year-old Jimmy Mirikitani survived the trauma of WWII internment camps, Hiroshima, and homelessness by creating art. But when 9/11 threatens his life on the New York City streets and a local filmmaker brings him to her home, the two embark on a journey to confront Jimmy's painful past. An intimate exploration of the lingering wounds of war and the healing powers of friendship and art, this documentary won the Audience Award at its premiere in the 2006 Tribeca Film Festival.

This movie touched me on so many levels. Having been dealing with illness for so long I am becoming very interested in the study of resilience, the unbrokeness of the human spirit, and the possibility of redemption at any age. 
I would love to hear your thoughts if you've seen this movie or plan to watch it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment