Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Where I've been....

Cyberspace: Welcome back 

Me: Thank you :)

c Abby Sernoff 2012

Where have I been? In short, I've been sick. Really sick. So this blog has been sitting dormant for the past 7  months. I have researched how to approach blogging in this type of situation.

Basically, you can (1) ignore the fact the you've been absent from cyberspace and continue on as if nothing was amiss. Or, you can (2) spill your guts and share precisely what has caused your absence (as long as it's interesting, of course.) I'm a pretty private person, so option #2 isn't really appealing to me. It also makes blogging somewhat difficult for me to begin with, although I've been told your blog is the single most important tool you have in increasing your presence as an artist online. That's in addition to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google Plus, Tumblr, your independent Website, Etsy shop etc. I swear I can't keep track!

A very successful artist I admire referred to blogging as your "living room"- a place where you invite people into your world to get to know you! This is great if your "living room" looks like a hipster paradise full of great antiques, knickknacks, and quaint furniture you reupholstered yourself. But what if your personal  "living room" looks like a burned- out disaster area? Despite all I've read about making yourself vulnerable and sharing your difficulties with others, I really don't think that anyone wants to read about the details of my illness over the past seven months. It's been messy, horrific, and definitely not beautiful or "hip" - although  I'm 42 now, so my hipster days may be over - I haven't figured that one out yet :)

So, I guess I'll just start blogging again. I'm still dealing with health issues, but feel ready to start getting back to my art. Plus I think working a little bit will help me feel better in the long run. I'm slowly trying to revamp my etsy shop by taking new photos, adding new listings, and of course, getting back to making collages.

Trying to keep up with the social networking aspect of being an artist online is a bit overwhelming to me right now, so I think I'll just focus on a few things at a time and see where that takes me.

I'm back :)

14 comments:

  1. this is so well said. I can very much relate. you've expressed so clearly. I wish you the best with your health issues. that is the worst kind. all the best as you get back to your art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much - I really appreciate it :) Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you had to suffer through your health issues, but I am glad you are feeling better and to see you back in bloggy land. Take care of yourself!
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Valerie! I'm very glad to be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do the "living room" or maybe "dining room" blogging atmosphere too! I label my followers as "house guests". Glad to stop by your living room ;-)

    I'm glad you are up to blogging, and hope you continue to do well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you are starting to feel better! I am also overwhelmed with all of the online "presence" required and the endless "top 10 rules about it" articles. I'd rather hunker down in studio and create!! {{HUGS}} to you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brooke - Thank you so much! Glad you stopped by too :)

    Diana - TY for your comment. I completely agree - it is so overwhelming trying to maintain an online presence, actually creating something just seems to fall by the wayside!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! It must feel good to get back to your art. May you feel better everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just recently joined the blogging team on easy and just saw your post. Glad I stopped by. Nice to meet you and so glad you're feeling better.
    I understand what you mean and changed my blogging style to only post my paintings. I used to get too personal I think, although I had more comments back then! I felt like people knew too much about me.
    Take care!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by too :) I wonder what it was like to be an artist before the age of the internet?! It provides great opportunities to "be seen" but can be so overwhelming too!

      Delete
  10. It's so nice to have you back. (And how wonderful that you have retained your sense of humor about real life vs. "hipster paradise".) I think there's nothing wrong with a) starting and stopping blogging as you see fit, and b) keeping your private self, well, private! Your readers/followers will just be happy to see you doing what you do, when you do it! Wishing you good health and productivity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne :) I very much appreciate the well wishes. Yes, I def still have my sense of humor, just a bit more jaded and snarkier!

      Delete
  11. So glad to find you back! Missed you. If you haven't yet, you should check back in with the Flying Lessons FB group. It's a great place.

    ReplyDelete