Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Commission/Collaboration Update

Happy Halloween everyone!


© Abby Sernoff 2012 

Here on the East Coast, I feel very lucky that we escaped Hurricane Sandy with few problems - we didn't even lose power. My heart goes out to all those who have experienced the devastating effects of the hurricane.

I wrote a few weeks ago about a Commission /Collaboration I was starting with Wayne of Nutmeg Designs. He sent me some of his original colored pencil drawings that I was asked to work into a collage of my choosing. The genesis of this idea was inspired by Jazz great John Coltrane's version of the song "My Favorite Things,"originally from The Sound of Music. Coltrane took an original creation by songwriters Rodgers and Hammerstein and turned it into something completely new and different.

As a reminder, here are Wayne's colored pencil drawings:


And here is the collage I created using paper, acrylic paint, and ink. I used Wayne's drawings for the leaves and ground cover, as well as some of the background pieces. When I gave Wayne the collage, I completely forget to mention I had titled it "Jazz Tree!"

"Jazz Tree" Mixed Media Collage
© Abby Sernoff 2012 




As an extra bonus, to deliver the collage my husband and I met Wayne and his wife Margaret for dinner, which was really fun!

Wayne and Margaret are both very talented stained glass artists - you can see their website here
"Jazz Tree" Mixed Media Collage
© Abby Sernoff 2012  

"Jazz Tree" Mixed Media Collage
© Abby Sernoff 2012  

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous collaboration work. Glad to hear you are safe too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ana :) Hope you weren't affected by the storm as well.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I love trees - they are one of my favorite subjects to create. I love how your papers and colors POP off the piece.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill - I love making trees too! Glad to hear you like the piece.

      Delete
  3. I love it. Fascinating project. And the title is perfect.

    ReplyDelete