Monday, November 5, 2012

Election Day Art - A Mosaic Collage

Mosaic Bird Collage © Abby Sernoff 2012 

As the election draws closer, every day brings more and more political flyers in the mail. They drive me crazy for several reasons, but one campaign in my State (Pennsylvania) is particularly awful. These flyers are really alarming. They are making terrible accusations against the incumbent and using really obvious fear tactics to do it! 

Some flyers I've received in the mail



Was it possible to take these awful flyers and turn them into something lovely? I decided to try my hand at a mosaic collage; I've never made one before! Note to politicians: in the future please use prettier colors in your ads - I didn't have a lot to work with here....


















First I cut the flyers into strips - cathartic!!!



Then I ripped them into tons of little pieces - even more cathartic!!!



Of course, I had to make a bird because I find them beautiful and to me they are symbols of hope. So here the collage I created using only the pieces of the political flyers and glue. I am really excited to have created something pretty out of this mess. Enjoy! 


Mosaic Bird Collage © Abby Sernoff 2012 


Mosaic Bird Collage © Abby Sernoff 2012 


4 comments:

  1. awesome use of these oh so negative mailers. good for you. love the bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann Marie - it was a fun project :)

      Delete
  2. I love you your bird! I am so sick of all those mailers, it's nice to see something beautiful made from all the negativity.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie! I agree - those mailers are terrible!

      Delete