Monday, November 12, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons...Make Art


© Abby Sernoff 2012

I don't write about being sick much. I would much rather focus on what I can do each day and on good days I even kind of forget I've been dealing with chronic illness for the past 9 years. But with my regular doctor appointment coming up this week (I go every few months,) it's kind of hard to ignore!


© Abby Sernoff 2012

Illness has changed my life dramatically, but one of the most striking changes is that it led me to begin making art. Prior to becoming ill I was someone who considered themselves crafty, but certainly not an artist, and I only had made collages once before - in high school.


© Abby Sernoff 2012 


© Abby Sernoff 2012 

Sometimes it's interesting to think about the fact that none of the art I've created would exist if I hadn't gotten sick. Yet I feel very strongly the my art comes from a place of healing, not illness. 

I believe going through any life altering experience can result in looking look at things differently, and for me my perspective about our world and my place in it has shifted in a big way. This is where my art comes from. 



© Abby Sernoff 2012 



1 comment:

  1. I love your statement that the art comes from a place of healing rather than illness, even if being sick is what catalyzed the art in your life.

    ReplyDelete