Monday, January 14, 2013

A Very Special Commission - Enchanted Makeovers


About Enchanted Makeovers-


Recently, I contacted a non profit organization I had learned about called Enchanted Makeovers. 


Enchanted Makeovers is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization whose mission is to transform homeless shelters into places that inspire behavioral and psychological change and support for those rebuilding their lives.

This organization in particular spoke to me for several reasons. As many of you know, I have been dealing with chronic illness (at times severe) for several years. Along the way, I've learned a few things. (1) Anything can happen to anyone and (2) The environment one resides in can have a huge impact on healing and well being.



One of the collages I donated to Enchanted Makeovers

I had learned Enchanted Makeovers were looking for donations from crafters and artists to help with their mission. I gladly donated a few items chosen by the Enchanted Makeovers founder Terry Grahl, but she had an additional special request for me. 

She was wondering if I could create a special commemorative collage that Enchanted Makeovers could leave behind at their current project. Of course I said yes! The current project is quite an undertaking - their biggest project yet!  

They are  currently working at the Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries to transform Genesis House. Genesis House is home to female veterans, many of whom are disabled, and their children. Enchanted Makeovers will transform 21 bedrooms with 53 beds, hallways and create a sacred sewing room.


Collage I made for Enchanted Makeovers featuring "before" pictures of Genesis House

I would also like to give a special thank you to Merion Art and Repro in Ardmore, PA who helped me professionally frame this collage at no additional cost! (I didn't get a picture of the collage framed but the frame is red and it looks awesome!) 

I am so excited to be a part of this journey! If you take a look at the Enchanted Makeovers facebook page you can see the amazing donations pouring in daily. The big reveal day is January 19th - I seriously can't wait and feel honored that something I created will remain long after this project is finished! 

                                                                                              xo Abby 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Abby - So happy to meet you online. What a wonderful project which will bring joy to all kinds of folks.

    Wishing you a creative and healthy 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin!! Off to check out your blog :)

      Delete