Friday, January 18, 2013

Illustration Friday: Myth

"Ready for Balance" c Abby Sernoff

I haven't participated in Illustration Friday for a while, but this weeks topic, Myth, really struck a chord with me. Much of my artwork is influenced the mythology that surrounds creatures, especially birds.






I love mythology because, when you study it, you realize that human beings have been asking the same questions about our existence (Why are we here? What does it all mean?) since the beginning of time. The same struggles and, hopefully, triumphs, connect us all and are an integral part of the Human Experience. Mythology reminds us it has always been that way.

Here is an early collage (2007) I created based on the mythology of crows. It is called "Ready for Balance" and represents something I was searching for in my life at the time.

"Ready for Balance" c Abby Sernoff

Crow is a harbinger of change. They teach the power and balance of light and dark. Create and manifest: all of life is waiting.


Close up of the words in the grass



                                                                                                                              xo Abby

10 comments:

  1. I love this...beautiful image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful collage! I've been fascinated by the bird since obsessing over The Crow movie as a teen. ;D

    ♥ aquariann
    Featured Finds: Real Butterfly Jewelry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I think I saw that movie a long time ago - was that from the early 90's?

      Delete
  3. Harbinger, such a powerful word...!
    Mythology really is the key; answers organically formed to describe and explain human nature in a universal way.
    Beautiful collage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree, harbinger is a powerful word :)

      I love your statement about mythology - well put!

      Delete
  4. This is really beautiful! I'm glad that you posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Very interesting interpretation for 'myth'...like the title-'ready for balance' and the contrast (in terms of color and texture) depicted....
      An intelligent expression on the crow is particularly striking and elegant

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! Love your descripton

      Delete